(strange quantities because this is 1/2 the original recipe)
1-1/2 C. sugar
1 C. + 2 Tbl. vegetable shortening
¼ C. + 2 Tbl. dark molasses
(*vegan option: 4 Tbl + 1-1/2 tsp. aquafava, slightly wisked up (liquid from a can of chick peas …1 egg = 3 Tbl aquafava)
1 Tbl. + 1-1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3 tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. salt
3-1/4 C. flour
- Set oven to 350º F.
- Cream sugar and shortening in mixer
- Add molasses and eggs (or aquafava) and beat well
- Add spices, baking soda and salt
- Gradually add flour. Dough will be pretty stiff and may need to be hand mixed at this point.
- Form balls. To most easily do this, I halved the dough and rolled each half into a log about 1-1/2” in diameter. Then I cut the log into slices about ½” thick and rolled each slice into a ball. I got about 30 cookies this way.
- However you get there, then roll the balls in sugar and place 2” apart on cookie sheet. Do not flatten.
- Bake 12 -15 minutes till puffed and cracked. I went for less time since I like them to be on the chewy side.
- Let cool & enjoy!